I am excited to be able to help people get by with their ebike journey. Here at ebikewizard.com, I share my expertise and over a decade of experience riding, testing, and troubleshooting ebikes of all kinds.
Have you ever wondered “How Much Does Electric Bike Insurance Cost”? Buying an e-bike is a lot of money. Losing it or damaging would not be a good day for anyone. Electric bike insurances is a good option in protecting against this scenario. Electric bike insurance is a policy for protecting your electric bike from losses caused by accidents, property damage, theft, medical payments, and vandalism, etc. The prices have a huge range in pricing. It can cost as low as $100 and can even cross $1000, depending upon the type of insurance you are buying. Due to the relatively new newness of the industry electric bike insurance has not produced a lot of options.
What Is Electric Bike Insurance?
Electric bike insurance has the same intent for any large asset that you want to protect as vehicles, jewelry, or real estate. Electric bike insurance provides protection to your electric bike. In case you lose your electric bike from theft, accident, property damage, medical payment, or vandalism, your electric bike insurance will protect your asset. The best thing is that e-bike insurance also helps you if your bike’s battery dies on the roadside.
How Much Does Electric Bike Insurance Cost?
There is no fixed cost of e-bike insurance; it varies with the type of insurance plan you purchase. Several factors need to be considered when deciding the electric bike insurance. The minimum insurance cost starts from $100 and can go up.
What Are The Factors That Decide The Overall Cost Of Your E-Bike Insurance?
Various factors are considered when deciding the overall cost of e-bike insurance, some of which are mentioned below:
You have different duration options when it comes to e-bike insurance. The cost of insurance varies with the duration you choose. Yearly insurances are costly as compared to monthly insurances.
Another important factor that you must consider in deciding the overall insurance cost of your e-bike is the insurance company you choose. Larger and well-reputed companies usually have higher rates than smaller companies.
Type Of E-Bike You Have:
Different types of e-bikes have different insurance charges. High-end and upgraded e-bikes have higher insurance charges than regular e-bikes.
Top E-Bike Insurance Companies And Their Cost:
Here we have prepared a list of top e-bike insurance companies to make it easier for you to choose the right company for your e-bike insurance.
Robust policy options, comprehensive coverage, and unique features make Velosurance the top-rated overall e-bike insurance company.
There are many reasons why Velosurance is considered the top overall e-bike insurance company. Some of these reasons are:
- It has a wide range of insurance policies also covering some specialized policy options.
- If you join its membership organization, then you will get huge discounts.
- It has a vast repair shop network all over the nation.
Things to Consider:
Choosing Velosurance as your final overall e-bike insurance company, there are a few things that you must consider. These include:
- If buying a quote online, you will have to go through a long time-taking procedure, no instant quotes are offered.
- You can not see any information related to the pricing or deductibles on their official website.
- They offer insurance services in limited states only.
Velosurance has unmatched coverage and various policy varieties. In its standard policy, you get coverage for a crash, theft, accident damage, roadside assistance, damage during transit, medical payments, etc. Wherever you go, your e-bike will be covered and the company will also have the coverage limit during traveling (an additional fee would be charged). Per occurrence liability coverage offered by Velosurance is 25,000, $50,000, or $100,000.
- Spoke Insurance:
If you want to purchase affordable insurance for your e-bike, then Spoke insurance is the best choice. Insurance policies offered by this company begin from only $100 and are most suitable for new e-bike owners.
Why Consider Spoke Insurance?
The reasons why you should consider Spoke insurance for your e-bike insurance include:
- It offers policies at the most affordable rates, beginning from only $100 annually.
- You can avail of great coverage options for long durations.
- The deductible prices are kept very low.
- You can easily file a quote online within few easy steps.
Things to Consider:
Before choosing Spoke insurance as your e-bike’s insurance company, here are a few things that you must consider:
- They don’t offer any discounts.
- You can only avail of their policies if you are a customer of Markel home and renters insurance.
- For worldwide coverage, you will have to pay additional charges.
Spoke insurance is considered the most affordable e-bike insurance company because of its low charges and low-priced policy plans. You can avail of the premium plan for just $100. Per claim, you have deductible options from $200 to $500. If you want your deductible to be higher than this range, you can get even lower rates.
The standard policy offered by Spoke insurance offers spare parts coverage of up to %1000, liability coverage between $25000 to $100000, and medical payment coverage between $1000 to $10000. Other coverage options included are bike replacement cost coverage, theft insurance, bike rental reimbursement, collision insurance, and transit protection.
- McClain Insurance:
McClain insurance is famous for the best high coverage limit e-bike insurance policies for people who want financial protection and added peace of mind in the case of an accident.
Why McClain insurance?
McClain insurance is good for e-bikers in several ways including:
- The premium plans of McClain insurance start from only $250.
- It also offers high coverage for specific policies.
- It always keeps your policy up-to-date by offering a “Five Minute Insurance Checkup” every year.
Things to Consider:
Along with the benefits offered by McClain insurance, there also are some cons that you must know. These cons include:
- In comparison to other providers in the market, it offers very limited coverage.
- You can not avail of its policy in every state.
- It does not have AM bets financial strength rating and has only a few third-party reviews.
McClain insurance is famous for offering the highest coverage limits by a landslide. By choosing McClain insurance for your e-bike you can avail yourself of an underinsured motorist insurance coverage and liability insurance of up to $500000. The standard e-bike insurance policies offered by McClain insurance include medical payments coverage and property damage coverage. But the sad part is that you can not view the policy limits online.
- Sundays Insurance:
If you are an e-biker who has to go on international trips frequently, then Sundays insurance is the right fit for you. By taking the Sundays insurance policy, you can save yourself from worrying about your e-bike being stolen, damaged, or lost in the cargo hold whenever you take your e-bike with you on your international trips.
Why Sundays Insurance?
There are many reasons why Sundays insurance is good to choose. These reasons include:
- It offers comprehensive coverage options and also has some unique policy options.
- You can easily get a quote from Sundays insurance online. You can also file a claim and purchase coverage online from them.
- For Strava members, it offers several free benefits.
- The best thing is that in the standard policy offered by Sundays insurance, e-bike batteries also qualify for coverage.
Things to Consider:
- You will have to pay an additional fee for availing of worldwide coverage.
- The coverage limits offered by Sundays insurance are very low.
- They do not offer services in every state.
Sundays insurance is best for international e-bike travelers. You can also get physical damage coverage and airline shipping coverage when traveling overseas by adding a worldwide extension to your Sundays insurance policy. But you should keep the additional extension cost in mind then. The standard Sundays insurance policy gives liability coverage of up to $100000, spare parts coverage of up to $500, rental reimbursement, vehicle contact protection, and much more.
- Simple Bike Insurance:
Simple Bike Insurance is best for multi-bike policies, which benefits e-bikers with a growing bicycle collection. The best thing about this e-bike insurance company is that it offers customizable coverage, large discounts for insuring multiple bikes, and free protection for competitive cyclists.
Why Simple Bike Insurance?
Simple Bike Insurance gives its policyholders many benefits including:
- It offers nationwide coverage.
- For policy savings, you can get huge discounts.
- It is affordable and offers policy plans starting from 100 only.
What to Consider:
- You have to be at least 18 years old for being the primary policy operator.
- The primary operator on the policy must be at least 18 years old
- The customer support options offered by Simple Bike Insurance are very limited.
If you are someone who is fond of gathering different e-bikes and has a great e-bike collection, then Simple Bike Insurance is the best insurance company for your e-bikes. The more e-bikes you will add to your policy, the more discount you will get. But your e-bikes must be under 28 mph (along with power assist) and 750 watts to qualify for the coverage.
Simple Bike Insurance provides you with liability coverage of up to $25000, collision coverage of up to $10000, spare parts coverage of up to $1000, medical payments of up to $1000, worldwide physical damage protection, rental bike replacement, roadside assistance coverage, competition fee reimbursement, etc.
Progressive allows you to save money by insuring your e-bike with their insurance endorsement if you already have their renters, homeowners, or condo insurance.
Purchasing e-bike insurance from Progressive has several benefits, like:
- It has excellent financial strength and is a well reputable insurance-providing company in the market.
- Progressive endorsements are way more economical than standalone insurance packages.
- You can take benefit of the online claiming reporting tool.
What to Consider:
Before buying an e-bike policy from Progressive, here are a few things that you must consider:
- You have to be an existing customer of Progressive, to get their e-bike coverage.
- There is no information displayed on their website regarding their coverage limits, pricing, or deductibles.
- There is no online quote facility.
Progressive is a top e-bike insurance company that allows you to add your e-bike insurance endorsement to your existing Progressive renters, home, or condo insurance policy.
A bicycle insurance endorsement from Progressive has all the most important coverage you’ll need when riding your e-bike. It includes collision insurance, medical payments coverage, theft and vandalism coverage, liability insurance, and property damage coverage. However, it lacks many of the perks that other providers have, like spare parts coverage and roadside assistance.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
Is E-Bike Insurance Worth It?
Deciding if e-bike insurance is worth it or not, is totally dependent on the type of e-bike you have and the type of insurance plan you choose. Standalone insurance plans are expensive but offer more benefits than the benefits gained by personal property coverage. Standalone insurance policies include roadside assistance, membership group discounts, replacement cost coverage, etc. E-bike insurance is totally worth your bike’s safety. This is because this insurance keeps your e-bike protected against damage, theft, and accidents.
Is Insurance Necessary For Riding An E-Bike?
No, not at all. The choice of buying an insurance plan for your e-bike is totally your choice. Having e-bike insurance is not a legal requirement for the ride; it is totally personal. Insurances are purchased for the safety and protection of e-bikes. You can ride one, even if you don’t have any insurance.
E-bikes have just been launched in the market, they are quite new as compared to the traditional bikes. So, there are very few companies offering insurance policies for e-bikes. Therefore, you have to be wise in choosing the right insurance company for your e-bike. For choosing the best e-bike insurance company, look at their collision coverage, liability insurance, customer service, and theft protection level. Prefer the company that is most affordable for you and offers multiple benefits.